Happy New Year
Happy New Year! I thought I better write this post before the end of January. Four months have already passed since our last post. In some ways it feels like we just finished travelling but in other ways it feels like it was so long ago. Believe it or not, we actually did take another trip but a much shorter one - just five days - to Tasmania, which is the southern island state of Australia. We had a good excuse to travel again because some of Klas's family visited us.
When we finished travelling, I wrote to a friend in an email that "Now it's back to the real world." I liked his response:









Some people have asked how does it feel to be done travelling? Do you think you've changed as a person? How does it feel to live in Australia now?
I would say that the word that summarises how I feel is "satisfied." Before travelling, we had the unique experience of being able to study, live and work in a foreign country, America, for 12 years and form strong friendships with many people. Then we had 18 wonderful months of history and culture lessons. I think Klas and I have seen the places that we really wanted to see. There are still more places we'd like to visit in our lifetime but we've hit our priorities.
Have we changed as people? Absolutely. Otherwise I think there would be something wrong if we didn't change as a result of our travels and taking a break from the usual day-to-day life style. We definitely know what's important to us personally and professionally. The saying "Don't sweat the small stuff" is true for us - we've always been planners but we adapt even quicker now when events happen that aren't in our control. It's also amazing how living out of a bag for so long made us realise that we don't need a lot of things in life. I could give you a whole list of how we've changed but then this blog post will be way too long.
How does it feel to live in Australia? I've been reconnecting with old friends and enjoying family get-togethers. Klas joined a floorball team one week after we finished travelling. Floorball originated in Sweden - it's similar to ice hockey but is on a gym floor. It feels like home even though we're not completely set up yet. We're still looking for employment but we're confident that if we're patient enough then we'll secure the right jobs for us.
I've posted some photos of our travels that we didn't share before as well as highlights from the last few months.
Klas asked you in the last post what we should do about this blog. Thanks for your comments and suggestions. Our friend Stephanie said that the "18 months [of travelling] was a once in a lifetime experience, and it deserves its own blog." We've decided to finish this blog for now but will let you know if we decide to start another blog in the future to help us keep in touch with our family and friends overseas.
"Out there is the real world. The day-to-day is just that."
Cuddling with a Koala at Steve Irwin's Australia Zoo

Close to Kangaroos while Hiking in South Australia
Arrived Home Just in Time for Brother/Cousin Rafe's 21st Birthday Party
Caught Up with Old Neighbours, "The Williams", Thanks to Facebook
Klas's Family Visited
Klas's brother Pelle, Asa and Vendela visited us for a few weeks. They spent a lot of time at the beach. We also went to Tasmania.
Celebrated the Marriage of Skip and Tina
Caught up with high school friends
Dinner with the Cousins
Not all of the cousins could make it but we had fun
Celebrated Grandma's 80th Birthday
Aussie Christmas Day
Celebrated our 7th Wedding Anniversary
New Year's Eve
Cousin Jake's Birthday
Klas Playing Floorball
Caught Up With Mark and Cheryl From L.A.

2 Comments:
What an amazing journey you have had. I still can't believe that (1) you guys actually did it; and (2) the traveling is all over. I remember when you were going to the library/bookstores to research places. Your travel spreadsheet is worth truckloads of gold.
Thanks for all of the photos. I'll miss this blog!
Kylie
last entry to the "journey" blog.. love the pics of the family. Rafe looks pretty debonair and jake has grown. Has it really been 7 years??? I am glad you have created a new blog.. for all your new adventures... and you don't seem so far away! Give a big hug to Sandra..
Love to you both!! jerelen
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home